Monday, May 18, 2009

On the Brink Much?

Sadly, I have nothing new--in the sense of "change in direction"--to report on the home front.

I have spent a lot of time lately "thisclose" to beginning the end. I don't know what holds me back (still) but: I think it's better not to do this when actively angry, but by the time I return a more rational place the anger, as impetus, has mostly evaporated.

I have decided that I probably should document in some detail why I think it's irreparably broken. So here goes:
  • I think we have no common vision of the future
  • I feel like he doesn't value the things about me that I think are most interesting
  • I cannot determine what his view of the future is, so certainly cannot determine how well the present aligns with it
  • I am free to hold any opinion whatsoever, as long as it aligns perfectly with his
  • I do not find him physically attractive; I never thought he was a great lover
  • We have not been physically intimate for over 4 years; I do not anticipate any change in that situation
  • He does not seem to understand that being a couple does not mean being together and doing absolutely everything with each other
  • He seems to resent that I've found things that are fulfilling but are completely separate from him (symphony, education, piano)
  • He frequently ridicules the world of abstraction that I love; he ridicules me for that love
  • He may criticize anything I say or do, at any time, without regard to his presentation or my feelings; I must never criticize him, because them I'm just being "unsupportive" or "inappropriately critical" or "argumentative"
  • I must always instantaneously know the exact right answer to every practical or conceptual problem; that answer must align with his expectations and must be demonstrably fact-based or I'm being unsupportive, inappropriately critical, argumentative, or I'm making things up
  • I must always be willing to answer any question, even when I anticipate that the answer will be unwelcome, or I'm being distant, disconnected, and I don't care at all about the outcome or his feelings
  • I must not question anything presented as known or decided (broadly defined)--any attempt at critical or analytic assessment of a situation is an evasion of responsibility, a failure to make a decision, a direct attack of his personal views

Yeah, that's a bit of a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home